Luann G. Richardson, Ph.D.
Professor of Nursing (Nursing)
412-397-3543 phone (M)
Scaife Hall 128
- Non-Degree, DNP completion program, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, 2015
- Non-Degree, Post MSN psychiatric NP, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, 2012
- Ph.D., Nursing, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, 2001
- Master of Science in Nursing, Family and Occupational Nurse Practitioner, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, 1988
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Nursing, University of Alabama, 1984
- Additional graduate courses in neurobiology, Ohio State University, 2012
- Additional graduate courses in epidemiology, University of Michigan, 2012
- Robert Morris University School of Nursing and Health Sciences,
Associate Professor, 2014-present
- Duquesne University School of Nursing, Assistant Professor
School of Nursing, 2005-2014
- Duquesne University School of Nursing, Part time instructor:
Graduate Program, Family Nurse Practitioner Program, 2000-2005
- Cognitive Medicine
Psychiatric Mental Health NP, geropsychiatry
- Washington Hospital-Washington, PA and Greene, Waynesburg, PA/surrounding area
Psychiatric NP, outpatient and inpatient behavioral health unit, 2016-present.
Geriatric Nurse Practitioner (long-term care), 2014-present
- Western PA Behavioral Health Resources
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Washington Hospital Physician Organization: Frazier Hart Inc.,
Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA, and
Washington Hospital, Washington, PA.
Nurse Practitioner, 1992-2013
- West-Penn Allegheny Health System
Department of Neuroscience Research
Research Coordinator, CRNP, 2002-2004
- Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Department of Cardiology, Nurse Practitioner, 1991-1992
Department of Psychiatry, Nurse Practitioner (part-time), 1991-1994
- Family Health Council,
Nurse Practitioner: Gynecology, 1988-1989
- Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh
Registered Nurse Cardiac Progressive Care Unit, Electrophysiology unit
Registered Nurse ? OB/GYN, inpatient and outpatient clinic
Obstetric / Prenatal Instructor Maternal / Child Health, 1984-2000
- Nurse Practitioner-Occupational Health, Mobile Medical, Pittsburgh PA 1990-92 (consultant)
- Presbyterian University Hospital (now UPMC), Pittsburgh, PA
Exercise Physiology Nurse Exercise Physiology Lab (part time), 1985-86
Area of Expertise/Research
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners: Certified as FNP
American Nursing Credentialing Center: Certified as FNP, GNP, and PMHNP
Advanced Cardiac Life Support: Ongoing
SANE nurse (Sexual assault nurse examiner)
- GRADUATE COURSE TEACHING EXPERIENCE: Family Therapeutics for psychiatric nurse practitioners, Geriatric Psychiatric, Graduate Pathophysiology, Graduate Neurobiology, Evidence Based Clinical Scholarship (DNP), Intro to Doctoral Studies (DNP), Epidemiology for Advanced Practice Nursing (DNP), Management of the Maturing Faily in Health and Illness, Clinical Diagnosis and Management Principles of the Family in Primary Health Care, Advanced Practice Clinical Preceptorship, Role Seminar I for Advanced Practice Nursing, Role Seminar II for Advanced Practice Nursing, Population Based Health Promotion.
- UNDERGRADUATE COURSES:
Clinical psychiatric nursing course, Pathophysiology and Illness: Psychiatric content, Foundations for Evidence Based Practice, Basics of Nursing Pharmacology, Physical Assessment
- Served on 9 dissertation committees
- Served as an adviser on 12 DNP committees
- Approximate number of graduate advisees: ~ 100
- External committee member, Carlow University, University of Arizona, Duquesne University, University of Pittsburgh
- St Jude Medical. Co-Principal investigator: Bradycare observational study. Starting Date 5/2010-2013.
- Frazier Hart, INC. WHPO, Washington, PA
Ongoing research team member: Optimizing Bi-ventricular Pacing in Patients with Heart Failure. Clinical Research, 2008-Present. Selected studies include:
- Investigation of monitoring performance in adherent cardiac telemetry (IMPACT 1 study) (Corventis)
- Accurate Registry: Accurate follow up using victory on Merlin (Scientific Studies, St Jude Medical)
- Freedom: A frequent optimization study using quick opt method (St Jude Medical)
- Optimal Programming to Improve mechanical indices, symptoms, and exercise in cardiac resynchronization. Scientific studies (St Jude Medical).
- Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Dept. of Neuro-science Research
Associate Investigator in 2 ongoing protocols: Principle Investigator: Robert Rubin, MD, PhD, 2004
? Hormone Rhythms: Metabolic Significance in Depression: Use of Physostigmine in depressed patients and normal controls.
? ACTH dose/response study in depressed patients and normal controls
- Lived Experience of Nursing Students Participating in a Standardized Patient Clinical Simulation to Evaluate Clinical Competence in a Distant Education Program. A qualitative study/project at Duquesne University School of Nursing. 2008
- Book chapter (pending-2018): Mental Health Concerns of the Older Adult, in Advanced Practice Nursing, FA Davis, publication pending
- DNP Capstone Project: Improving metabolic screening in patients’ prescribed second-generation antipsychotics. University of Pittsburgh, 2015.
- Dissertation: Physiologic Variables, Medical Therapy, and Psychosocial Issues: Effect of Gender and Outcome in Patients with CHF. University of Pittsburgh, 2001
- Book Chapter: Treatment of Peptic Ulcer Disease and Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease, in Pharmacology: Connections to Nursing Practice (Adams and Koch). Pearson, 2010.
- Richardson, L, & Adams, Susie. (2018). Cognitive deficits in patients with Depression. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, publication date pending.
- Richardson, L. (2016). Improving metabolic screening rates in patients prescribed atypical antipsychotics. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(10), 227-230. doi: 10.1010/j.nurpa.2016.05.015.
- Kameg, K. Richardson, L., & Szpak, J. (2015). Pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: An update for advanced practice psychiatric nurses. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 28(2), 84-91.doi: 10.1111/jcap.12111
- Richardson, L. (2014). Evidence principles: Caveats in translation of probability and risk. Clinical Nurse Scholar: The Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice, 7(2), 114-120.
- Richardson, L. (2014). Use of heuristics in clinical decision making. Clinical Nurse Scholar: The Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice, 7 (1), 16-23.
- Zanetos, J., Lux, K, Richardson, L. (2014). Testing the effects of a Pharmaceutical Program on Fall Rates in the elderly. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 30 (3), 122-126.
- Richardson, L. & Puskar, K. (2012). Screening for Depression and Anxiety in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8 (6), 475-481.
- Richardson, L (2012). Changing behavior through Motivational Interviewing: A form of ministry. Journal of Christian Nursing, 29 (1), 18-24. DOI:10.1097/CNJ.0b013e318238e510
- Richardson, L. (2010). Radiation exposure and diagnostic testing. Journal of the Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 32(4), 178-184.
- Richardson, L., Resick, L., Leonardo, M., & Pearsall, C. (2009). Undergraduate students as standardized patients for assessing APN competencies. Nurse Educator, 34 (1): 12-16.
- Richardson, L (2008). Review of ACC conference 2008. Editorial. Cardiology, 37 (7): 17.
- Richardson, L. (2003). Psychosocial Issues in Patients with Heart Failure. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 18(1):19-27.
- Richardson, L. (2001). Women and Heart Failure. Heart and Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 30 (2): 87-97.
- 2018 - Pearls of addiction: NB to recovery. Annual RMU DNP preceptor conference, Moon Township, PA. February 23, 2018.
- 2017 - Shared Decision Making in treating patients with Depression, AANP presentation-webcast for international viewing, AANP website, March 2018 Forgetting Dad: Panel Discussion on Brain trauma, amnesia, RMU, November 2017
- 2017 - Addiction: Neurobiology to Recovery, The Eighth Annual McGinley-Rice Symposium on Justice for Vulnerable Populations, Pittsburgh, PA, October 20, 2017
- 2017 - Cognitive dysfunction in patients with depression Annual American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Philadelphia, June 24, 2017.
- 2016 - The Stigma of a mental health disability. The Seventh Annual McGinley-Rice Symposium on Justice for Vulnerable Populations, Pittsburgh, PA, October 27th, 2016.
- 2016 - Metabolic syndrome in patients taking antipsychotics. AANP national conference, San Antonio, Texas, June 2016.
- 2016 - Enhanced screening of metabolic syndrome in patients prescribed second generation antipsychotics. International Society of Psychiatric Nurses, Minneapolis, MN, April 2016.
- 2015 - Unintended violence in the elderly. The Face of Mental Illness: Sixth Annual McGinley Social Justice Conference. Pittsburgh, PA. October 22, 2015
- 2015 - Improving metabolic screening in patients prescribed SGAs. DNP project proposal: University of Pittsburgh. July 27, 2015.
- 2014 - Integrating mental health strategies into primary care services. Fifth Annual McGinley Social Justice Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, Oct. 2014.
- 2014 - Integrative alcohol and drug use disorder treatment in primary care. PSNA. Pittsburgh, PA, 10-2014.
- 2013 - Use of brief motivational interviewing in case management. Regional Conference, ACMA, Pittsburgh, PA, September, 2013.
- 2013 - Infusing Psychiatric competencies into NP/DNP course work. Workshop: NONPF annual conference, April 2013.
- 2010 - Motivational Interviewing: Helping people change. Oral presentation, Parish Nurse Organization Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. Nov 2010
- 2010 - Rightsizing your practice: Role of the NP in a Cardiology Practice, PA-American College of Cardiology Annual Conference, Nemicolin, PA., Oct. 2010.
- 2009 - Childhood health and the Parish Nurse. Oral presentation. Parish Nurse Organization Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. Nov. 2009
- 2009 - Leadership: Role of the Parish Nurse. Oral presentation. Parish Nurse Organization, Pittsburgh PA. May 2009
- 2009 - Motivational Interviewing: A Primary Care Perspective. Poster Presentation. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. Nashville, Tennessee. July, 2009
- 2009 - Heart Failure: Evidenced based care. Oral presentation at the Pennsylvania ACC conference. Hershey, PA. May 2009.
- 2009 - Cardiac Rehabilitation and the Heart Failure Patient. Oral presentation at Washington Hospital , PA for the Three Rivers Society for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (3RSCVPR) March 2009.
- 2009 - Evidence Based Pharmacology for patients with HF. Oral presentation at the SWPA Nurse Practitioner Organization conference. Pittsburgh. Feb. 2009.
- 2008 - Heart Failure: Prevention, Primary Care, Acute Decompensation. Pennsylvania Nurse Practitioner Organization annual conference. State College. November 2008).
- 2008 - Radiation exposure and diagnostic imaging: Essentials for NPs. Poster presentation at the national American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Washington, DC. (June 2008).
- 2007 - Heart Failure Update 2007. Oral presentation at the regional American College of Cardiology conference. Nemicolin, PA. October 2007.
- 2007 - Atrial Fibrillation 2007: An increasing public health concern. Oral Presentation at the National American Academy of Nurse Practitioner conference. Annapolis, IN (June, 2007)
- 2007 - Standardized Patient Clinical Simulation to Evaluate Clinical Competence in a Distant Education Program. Oral presentation at the National Organization for Nurse Practitioner annual meeting: Denver, CO (April 2007).
- 2006 - Current legal and liability issues concerning nurse practitioners: Communication strategies to decrease risk. Oral Presentation at the national American Academy of Nurse Practitioner conference:
Grapevine, TX (June 2006)
- 2005 - Syncope: Finding a cause. Presentation at National American Academy of Nurse Practitioner conference: Fort Lauderdale (June, 2005)
- 2002 - Physiologic Variables, Medical Therapy, and Psychosocial Issues: Effect of Gender and Outcome in Patients with CHF. Poster presentation at Sigma Theta Tau, University of Pittsburg chapter (February, 2002)
- 2001 - Gender Differences in selected physiological and management variables and psychosocial profile in patients with Congestive Heart Failure. Presentation at National Annual American Academy of Nurse Practitioner Conference: Orlando, FL (June, 2001)
- 2001 - Physiological and psychological variables in patients with CHF: Outcome and gender effect. Oral presentation at Greater Pittsburgh Annual Research Conference: Pittsburg (October, 2001)