Carianne Bernadowski, Ph.D.
University Professor of Education (Education)
Coordinator, Peirce Center and Reading Specialist Program (Dean - SNEHS)
Coordinator, Secondary English and Communication Teacher Certification (Education)
412-397-5463 phone (M)
Nicholson Center 424
- Ph.D., Literacy, University of Pittsburgh, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, Journalism and Communications/Secondary Education, Point Park College, 1994
- Master of Education, Reading specialist/Master of education in literacy, Slippery Rock University, 1996
- K-8 Language Arts/Reading teacher,
Area of Expertise/Research
- qualitative research,RTII, learning differences, peer coaching, teacher training
- content area reading, early literacy, interventions for struggling readers, teachers' self-efficacy.
- Bernadowski, C., & Hisle, N. (2023). School personnel perceptions of working conditions during a pandemic: A mixed methods study. Journal of Education and Learning (EduLearn), 17(1), 158-164.
- Bernadowski, C. (2021)-Editor. Strategies and Methods for Implementing Trauma-Informed Pedagogy. IGI Global.
- Parker, S.W., Hansen, M.A., & Bernadowski, C. (2021). COVID-19 campus closures in the United States: American student perceptions of forced transition to remote learning. Social Sciences, 10(62), 1-18. http://doi.org/10.3390/socsci10020062
- Bernadowski, C. (2020). Reciprocal peer coaching: An instrumental case study of the jouney of a three-year doctoral cohort. Advances in Social Science Research Journal, 7(2), 208-215.
- Beasley, K. T., & Bernadowski, C. (2019). An examination of reading specialist candidates' knowledge and self-efficacy in
behavior and classroom management: An instrumental case study, Education Sciences, 9(76), 1-9.
- Bernadowski, C. (2019). "Omg It's not a big deal:" Generation Z's perceptions of academic integrity and cheating in the 21st century: A phenomenological study. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 6(8), 6-12.
- Del Greco, R., Bernadowski, C., & Parker, S.W. (2018). Using illustrations to depict preservice science teachers' self- efficacy: A case study. International Journal of Instruction, April.
- Bernadowski, C. (2017). Alternative to team sports: The effects of parkour on children, adolescents and young adult: A case study. International Journal of Physical Education, 54(4), 31-40.
- Bernadowski, C. (2017). From novice to expert: The preceived self-efficacy of teachers implementing Orton-Gillingham with children with dyslexia-A case study. iManager's Journal on English Teaching, 7(2), 51-58.
- Bernadowski, C. (2016). I can't evn get why she would make me rite in her class. Middle School Journal, 47(4), 3-14.
- Marteney, T., & Bernadowski, C. (2016). Teachers' perceptions of the benefits of online instruction for students with special educational needs. British Journal of Special Education, 43(2), 178-194.
- Bernadowski, C. (2016). A case study examination of emotional competence in a tween male. International Forum, 19(1), 5-17.
- Rudd, D., & Bernadowski, C. (2015). An investigation of a computer training company's migration to a new distance learning platform and implementation of an online professional development program, International Journal of Distance Education, 13(4), 80-97.
- Dubis, S., & Bernadowski, C. (2014). Communicating with parents of children with special needs in Saudi Arabia:
Parents' and teachers' perceptions of using email for regular and ongoing communication. British Journal of
Special Education. DOI: 10.1111/1467-8578.12061
Bernadowski, C., Perry, R., Del
Greco, R., & Parker, S. (2014). START:
A Framework for service learning implementation for preservice teachers,
Journal of Education and Training, 1(2), 262-275.
Bernadowski, C. (2014). Improving the reading attitudes of
Using literature discussion groups to learn about content
reading, imanager’s Journal on English
Teaching, 3(3), 16-24.Bernadowski, C. (2014). Improving the reading attitudes of college students: Using literature discussion groups to learn about content reading. Journal on English and Teaching, 3(3), 16-24.Bernadowski, C., & Aspinall, J. (2014). An evaluation of peer review in US graduate research courses. International Forum, 17(2), 44-57.Bernadowski, C., Del Greco, R., & Perry, R. (2013). Improving perservice teachers' self-efficacy through service learning: Lessons learned. International Journal of Instruction, 6(2), 67-86.
Bernadowski, C., Del. Greco, R., & Kolencik, K. (2012). Beyond the textbook: Using tradebooks and databases to teach our nation’s history (Grades 7-12). ABC-CLIO.Bernadowski, C. (2011, October). Literature circles and historical fiction? Middle Ground.
Bernadowski, C. (2011). Literacy skills for adolescents: What every content teacher needs to know about literacy, Middle Level Insider (May 2011)
Bernadowski, C., & Morgano, K. (2011). Teaching historical fiction with ready-made literature circles for secondary readers. Libraries Unlimited: ABC-CLIO.
Bernadowski, C. & Kolencik, P. (2009). Research-based reading strategies in the library for adolescent learners. Libraries Unlimited: ABC-CLIO.
Bernadowski, C. (2009). Thinking aloud: A metacognitive approach to training college students in preparation for elementary classrooms, PA Reads
Bernadowski, C. (2009). Using the Coretta Scott King Award winners to teach literacy skills to adolescents. Libraries Unlimited: ABC-CLIO.
Bernadowski, C (2009). Teaching literacy skills to preschoolers without spending a bundle. Reading Today, 26(3), 40.
Bernadowski, C. (2009). Using questioning the author to improve middle school students’ engagement with text. The Reading Professor,31(2), 35-42.Benadowski, C. (2008). Teaching with Books that Heal. Library Media Connection, 26(4), 28-30.
Bernadowski, C. (2008). Aren’t we all teachers of literacy? Library Media Connection 27 (2), 28-29.
Kolencik, P., & Benadowski, C. (2007). Teaching with books that heal: Using authentic literature to teach reading and writing strategies, Linworth Publishing.
Bernadowski, C. (2007). Book Clubs at Work. Library Media Connection, 26(3), p. 32- 33.
Bernadowski, C. (2006). Math and Metacognition: Using think alouds in a math classroom, PA Reads (229, Volume VII, Number 1)
Capalongo-Bernadowski, C. (2003). Adventures in mentoring, Teaching K-8, 34(1).