- Ph.D., Social Administration, University of Pittsburgh, 2004
- Master of Social Work, Social Administration, University of Pittsburgh, 1998
- Master of Arts, Sociology, University of Pittsburgh, 1996
- Bachelor of Arts, Classics/History, Louisiana State University, 1980
- 2016 --. Professor. Organizational Leadership. Courses Taught: B.S. Program -- Contemporary Issues: Social Movements. M.S. Program -- Research Methods, Sex and Leadership, Capstone.
Non-Profit Leadership. M.S. Program - Social Change and Advocacy, Capstone.
- 2011- 2016 Associate Professor. Organizational Leadership. Courses Taught: B.S. Program - Global Perspectives, Leadership and Communication, Assessing Organizational Effectiveness; Contemporary Issues in Leadership;
M.S Program -- History and Theory of Leadership, Quantitative Reasoning and Decision Making, Leadership and Change; Global Perspectives, Leadership Capstone
Traveled with students to Morocco and Spain
- 2009 - 2012 Teaching Faculty: Doctorate of Science Information Systems and Communications (DISC).
9515 Field Project I: Prospectus for Proposal Seminar,
Field Project II: Methodology and Data Analysis,
Prospectus: Research Design Seminar, Applying Quantitative Methods,
Readings in Information Systems and Communications Research.
Dissertation advisor and committee member.
- 2005 - 2011 Assistant Professor,
Organizational Leadership: Courses Taught: B.S. Program -- Multicultural Perspectives,
Applied Principles of Leadership I,
Contemporary Issues in Organizational Leadership,
Capstone Seminar in Leadership.
M.S. Program -- The History & Theory of Leadership,
Leadership and Communication,
Knowledge Acquisition and Decision Making,
Leadership and Organizational Behavior,
Leadership and Change,
Capstone: Leading Now and in the Future,
- PA Department of Labor and Industry. Program evaluations of grants to Steel Valley Authority.2006 through 2011.
- Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh. Research assistant to Dean. 2005.
- Richard King Mellon Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA. Research: workforce development and education. 2004.
- United Way of Allegheny County. Pittsburgh, PA. Director of Community Impact. Director for Foundation Relations. 2002- 2003.
- Child Services Research and Development, Western Psychiatric Institutes & Clinics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Research Assistant on 4 funded projects.1999-2003.
- RAND. Pittsburgh, PA. Project and Research Coordinator for six funded projects. 2002.
- NIMH Center for Mental Health Services Research, School of Social Work, University of Pittsburgh, PA. Project coordinator and research assistant. 2000-2001.
- National Center for Violence Research, Research Assistant and Project Coordinator, University of Pittsburgh. 2000.
- Jewish Healthcare Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA. National Senior Volunteer Summit; Pittsburgh's branch of Elderhostel. 1998.
- Grable Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA. Evaluation of social services in impoverished schools.1998, 1999.
- Maurice Falk Medical Fund, Pittsburgh, PA. The Power of Place Conference: urban crisis issues. 1998.
- The Forbes Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation. Assistant Program Officer. 1997-1998.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Leadership pedagogy/education
- Gender and leadership
- Cultural dynamics and leadership
- Women Activists in Authoritarian, Patriarchal Societies
- Stork, E., Darmo, L., & Grant, A.J. (2015). Leadership graduate degree programs: ... Journal of Leadership Studies 9(2), 19-38.
Louch, M. &
Stork, E. (2014). The influence of typeface on students’ perceptions of online instructors. Information Systems Educators Journal (ISEDJ),
Ajani. T. & Stork, E. (2014). Developing a semantic differential scale for measuring users’ attitudes toward sensor-based decision support technologies for
the environment. Journal of Information Systems Applied
Research, 7(1), 16-22. Stork, E. &
Hartley, N., (2014). Gender and cross-cultural perceptions of professors’ behaviors: A comparison
of Chinese and American college students. Contemporary Issues in
Education Research, 7(2), 95-106.Ajani, T. & Stork, E. (2014). Emerging technologies:
Public health educators’ knowledge and attitudes toward global sensor networks. American Journal of Health Sciences, 5(1), 45-52.
Stork, E., (2013). Instrument
published in PsychInfo. Student Perceptions of Professors' Classroom Behaviors,
SPPCB [Database record]. doi: 10.1037/t03215-000.Stork, E. & Hartley, N. (2011). A comparison of Chinese and American college students' perceptions of professors' behaviors. Journal of International Education Research, 7(4), 1-10. Stork, E. & Hartley, N. (2009). Classroom incivilities: Students' perceptions about professors' behaviors. Contemporary Issues in Education Research 2 (4). 13-24. Stork, E. (2008). Understanding high-stakes decision making: Constructing a model of the decision to seek shelter from Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Feminist Family Therapy, 20(4), 299-327.Stork, E. (2008). Using human universals to teach multicultural diversity. International Journal of Multicultural Education 10(1). Sims, R. & Stork, E. (2007). Design for contextual learning: Web-based environments that engage diverse learners, in A. Treloar & A. Ellis (Eds.) Proceedings of AusWeb07, the Thirteenth Australian World Wide Web Conference. Coffs Harbour, NSW: Southern Cross University. (http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw07/papers/refereed/sims/index.html)Greeno, C.G., Anderson, C., Stork, E., Shear, K., Mike, G. (2002). Return to treatment after assessment in a community child mental health clinic. Psychiatric Services, 53(5), 624-627.Stork, E., Scholle, S., Greeno, C., Copeland, V.C., & Kelleher, K. (2001). Monitoring and enforcing cultural competence in Medicaid managed behavioral health care. Mental Health Services Research, 3, 169-177.
- 2018 - You Can't Teach Someone How to be Authentic. Panel: Teaching Authenticity, with Dr. J. Swain, Dr. D. Smith, Dr. R. Smith, & M. Tabata, at the 20th Annual International Leadership Association Conference. West Palm Beach, FL, Oct. 24-27, 2018.
- 2017 - Women Leading Social Movements: What Drives Them? Presented at The International Leadership Association Conference, Brussels, Belgium. Oct. 12-15, 2017.
- 2017 - What are Doctoral Programs in Organizational Leadership Telling Us About What is Important for Teaching About Leadership for Changing Times?: An Analysis of Doctoral Programs Objectives and Epistemologies. Presented with Dr. Malakyan at The International Leadership Association Conference, Brussels, Belgium. Oct. 12- 15, 2017.
- 2017 - There's No Escaping Conformity. Presented at The Women and Leadership Conference, Advancing Women in Leadership: Cultivating Our Whole Selves. Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY. June 11-14, 2017
- 2016 - Damned if You Don't. Panel: Television and Popular Culture, with Drs. Grant, Turek, & Carlberg, at Pop Culture of America Conference, Seattle, WA, April 2016.
- 2015 - Conformity to Female Gender Stereotypes in a Leader: Damned if You Don't. Panel: Women and Representation in TV and Film. Paper presented at The International Leadership Association (ILA) Conference, Oct 16, 2015. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2015 - Decision Making: Which Path Should I Take? Honors Program Roundtable, Robert Morris University, Feb, 24, 2015. Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2014 - Gender Images of Leaders/ Gender Images of Leadership. Symposium organizer. Paper presented at the International Leadership Association (ILA) Conference. Nov 2, 2014. San Diego, CA.
- 2014 - Leadership Graduate Degree Programs: A Comparative Analysis of Value Propositions. Paper presented at the International Leadership Association (ILA) Conference. Oct 31, 2014. San Diego, CA.
- 2014 - Media Images of Leaders and of Leadership. Symposium Chair and organizer. International Leadership Association (ILA) Conference. Oct 31, 2014. San Diego, CA.
- 2014 - Images of Women Leaders. Honors Program Roundtable, Robert Morris University, Sept 16, 2014. Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2012 - Technologically-mediated Social Spaces: Negotiating Public and Private Selves in Public Spaces. Paper presented at 2012 Joint Conference of the National Popular Culture & American Popular Culture Association, April 12, 2012, Boston, MA.
- 2014 - Leadership: Portrayals of Women in Power. Paper presented for the panel Images of Leadership. Pop Culture of America Conference, April 18, 2014, Chicago, IL.
- 2013 - Publishing a Research Study. Presented at the University of Economics, Bratislava. International Joint Research and Teaching Project, OP Education: Increasing the Quality of Doctoral Studies, and in support of International Research at the FNE, University of Economics in Bratislava (ITMS 26140230005), Modern Education for the Knowledge Society, co-financed by the European Union. Nov 12, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia.
- 2013 - Creating a Semantic Differential Scale for Measuring Users' Attitudes Toward Emerging Technologies. Ajani, T. & Stork, E. Paper presented by T. Ajani at the Information Systems Educators Conference (ISECON). Nov 7, 2013. San Antonio, TX.
- 2013 - How Typeface Influences Students' Perceptions of Online Instructors. Louch, M & Stork, E. Paper presented by M. Louch at the Information Systems Educators Conference (ISECON). Nov 6, 2013. San Antonio, TX.
- 2013 - Thinking About Human Universals for Thinking About the Leader-Follower Dynamic. Presentation at the International Leadership Association Conference. Oct. 31, 2013. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- 2013 - I'm Special. I'm Bored. Paper presented at 2013 Joint Conference of the National Popular Culture & American Popular Culture Association, Washington, D. C., March 27, 2013. Panel entitled The Limits of Self-Love with Drs. AJ Grant, J. O'Banion, H. Pinson.
- 2012 - Do not use Comic Sans unless you are eight years old and writing about unicorns. Louch, M., Stork, E. Abstract in The Proceedings of the Information Systems Education Conference, v.29 n.2095. November 1, 2012, New Orleans, LA.
- 2012 - Self-Reflexivity Tools for Leadership Development in Cross-Cultural Contexts. Panel with Drs. H. Chang and Remi. G. Presentation at the International Leadership Association (ILA) Conference. Oct 25, 2012. Denver, CO.
- 2012 - The Social Construction of Plagiarism. The International Conference of The Book. June 30, 2012. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2011 - Needs and Fears in Leaders and Followers. Presentation at RMU Honors Program Roundtable Series. Nov 14, 2011. Robert Morris University.
- 2011 - Emerging technologies: Public health educators knowledge and attitudes towards global sensor networks. Presented paper written with Ajani, T. at ISECON/CONISAR, November 2011, Wilmington, NC.
- 2011 - R U Sexting with your Handheld? Panel presentation with Drs. Cara Lapic and AJ Grant at the International Association of Computer Information Systems (IACIS), October, 2011, Mobile, AL.
- 2011 - In College Classrooms: How Students Behave, Perceive Peer?s Behaviors, and Perceive of Themselves. Paper presented at the 37th Organizational Behavior Teaching (OBTC) Conference for Management Educators and published in Proceedings, Marquette University. Jun 9, 2011. Milwaukee, WI.
- 2011 - Leadership and Human Universals. Paper presented at the 37th Organizational Behavior Teaching (OBTC) Conference for Management Educators and published in Proceedings, Marquette University. Jun 9, 2011. Milwaukee, WI.
- 2011 - Classrooms: Public or private space? Using Habermas to explore the in-between space that is the college classroom. Paper presented at the 2011 Joint Conference of the National Popular Culture & American Popular Culture Association, April 22, 2011, San Antonio, TX.
- 2011 - How thought is taught: Getting to a research study plan. Paper presented at the Mid-Atlantic Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference, March 19, 2011, Rutgers University, School of Business, Camden, NJ.
- 2010 - Learning by Wandering. panel discussion on the intersection of online education and global awareness. With RMU Rooney Scholar, Dr. Marie Martin, Dr. Grant, Dr. Tannehill, and Ms. Mansourian. Robert Morris University. Nov 18, 2010. Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2010 - There's no place like home: Social networks, cyber-spaces and the problem of place. Panel presentation with Drs. A.J. Grant, R. Skovira, and C. Lapic at International Association for Computer Information Systems (IACIS), October 9, 2010, Las Vegas, NV.
- 2010 - Students' Expectations: What's a Professor to Do? Paper presented at the Mid-Atlantic Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference (MOBTC) Race to Relevance, Drexel University. Mar 27, 2010. Philadelphia, PA.
- 2009 -
Learning about diversity: How to teach for internalizing enduring effects. Paper presented at The 36th Annual Conference of Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference for Management Educators, June 13, 2009, College of Charleston, Charleston, S.C.
- 2008 - Classroom incivilities: Student perceptions about faculty behaviors. Paper presented with Dr. Nell Hartley at The 35th Annual Conference. Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference for Management Educators, June 11, 2008, Babson College, Wellesley, MA.
- 2008 - Innovation and incivility: An introduction into possible corollaries. Paper written with and presented by Dr. Nell Hartley at The Society for the Advancement of Management Conference, April 6, 2008. Arlington, VA.
- 2007 - Design for contextual learning: Web-based environments that engage diverse learners. Paper written with Dr. Rod Sims and presented by Sims at the Thirteenth Australian World Wide Web Conference. July, 2007. Coffs Harbour, NSW: Southern Cross University.
- 2007 - Teaching senior military officers about multicultural perspectives. Presentation at The War College. December, 2007. Carlisle Barracks, PA.
- 2001 - Analyzing decision making: Women seeking shelter from intimate partner violence. Presentation at The Social and Decision Sciences Department Research Seminar. March, 2001.Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2001 - Cultural competence in behavioral managed care for youth. Poster presentation at The Society for Social Work Research Conference. January, 2001. Atlanta, GA.
- 2000 - Healthy lifestyle programs for people with chronic mental illnesses. Paper presented at The Center for Mental Health Services Research Conference. December, 2000. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2000 - Monitoring and enforcing cultural competence in managed behavioral health care. Paper presented at The Center for Mental Health Services Research Conference, December, 2000. University of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, PA.
- 1999 - Cultural competence in managed care: Developing an instrument. Paper presentation at The School of Social Work Research Conference. October, 1999. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.