John M. McCarthy, Ph.D.
Professor of History and Faculty Athletics Representative (Social Sciences)
412-397-5412 phone (M)
Wheatley Center 324
- Ph.D., History, Marquette University, 2005
- Master of Arts, History, Marquette University, 1999
- Bachelor of Arts, History, Bethany College, WV, 1997
Area of Expertise/Research
- American History, Urban History, Planning History
- "Rust Belt Requiem: Understanding Postindustrial Regions, Cities, and Spaces" Journal of Urban History Vol. 45. 2019
- Making Milwaukee Mightier: Planning and the Politics of Growth, 1910-1960 (Northern Illinois University Press, 2009)--Winner of Gambrinus Prize for Best Book on Milwaukee History, Milwaukee County Historical Society, 2010.
- "Bowling Together? Resurrecting the "'Public' in Modern America," Reviews in American History, September 2011.
- "Familiar Competitors on a New Playing Field: Sports Venues and Urban Dvelopment in Contemporary America," Journal of Planning History, November 2009, 330-338.